From the time I was 8 years old,
I knew the difference between an assault rifle and a battle rifle, how to
“frag” somebody and when to “pistol whip” an enemy. Fortunately, this was not
because I was in some sort of toddler mafia, I merely became quite immersed in
video games, namely the war-based ones such as “Halo” and later on, “Call of
Duty.” I was influenced by my cousins and friends to play video games and
became a huge fan of the digital sport.
Unfortunately, most of my friends in middle school and high school
didn’t take me too seriously as a “gamer” due to the fact that I am female.
However, I did not find this to be much of a hindrance since I quickly
proceeded to prove them wrong by demolishing their discriminatory butts in
almost every game. I realized that the stereotype that women cannot succeed in
video games was silly, but it was also mainly based on fact; most girls my age
viewed video games as an alien activity carried out only by the cootie-ridden
boys or their little brothers. Consequently, boys only played video games with
other boys; and so the stereotype erupted.
Many themes
present in video games draw a primarily male consumer crowd; for example, most
f the character options for most games are male and manya majority of video
games contain graphic sexual images of women. Recently, however, these
companies have been producing more “pink games” in order to diminish the idea
that the games they make are gender-exclusive. The irony in this lies in the
fact that these games play off of gender stereotypes. The very name, “pink games,”
(Grimes)
suggests that all girls are drawn to and like the color pink. These games also
feature cliché girly designs and games. Most have to do with fashion or beauty
and those that don’t usually involve cooking or child rearing. While these games offer an exciting
opportunity for many girls, they also inspire ridicule for male players. Girls who do enjoy video games, however,
continue to immerse themselves in the male-dominated games regardless of the
scoffing they endure. Because of this, I do not believe that the stereotypical
nature of games is an issue that needs to be dwelled upon. Girls who do feel
discriminated against are usually those who would not play video games anyway.
Not only is
there conflict in the gaming industry regarding gender, but there is also
debate about whether video games affect a person’s performance in school and
cognition. Studies have shown that playing video games “can improve spatial
attention and mental rotation” and can also help children with “reading skills,
mathematics and biology” (Prot). However, other studies prove that “video game
playing [is] negatively correlated with college GPA” (Burgess). While these two statements seem contradictory,
I believe it makes perfect sense; while video games may help the brain work
better, many students become distracted by them and end up abandoning their
studies to focus on their gaming careers. I believe that while certain games seem
vacuous in the education department, some that I have played have taught me a
lot about math, science and even current world problems.
Another
area of dispute regarding video games is the correlation of gaming to violent
behavior. Many experiments have proven that “video game violence can
significantly increase aggressive thoughts, emotions, and behavior” (Prot).
However, many scientists do not see a strong enough relationship to write the
behavior off as coming directly from the video games. While I agree that some
video games lower the threshold of what people perceive as violent or gory, I
do not believe that video games alone can trigger violent behavior in a person.
In my opinion, unless a person is mentally unstable to begin with, they should
not have violent outbreaks because of a game.
My own
experiences with video games have shaped my opinion on their production and
their effects on the users. I have had mostly positive experiences with games
other than an occasional loss; this has allowed me to confidently say that the
gaming industry is one that is not perfect but has definitely developed well
over the past decade. For me, gaming is always a go-to comfort activity and the
fact that some games are “gender-biased” doesn’t bother me too much anymore. I
personally have not seen a drop in my GPA due to excessive playing or had any
unusual violent encounters, although I may have just been lucky.
I totally agree with all the points made in this blog. Being a girl that has enjoyed playing video games occasionally, I have witnessed how our society tends to be gender-biased. However, at the same time, I do not feel like it is a big issue. It really is not an issue "to be dwelled upon" because it is not that significant or prevalent in our culture. I also have witnessed first hand that video games do not necessarily promote violence the way people think. I personally feel like it is up to the user to decipher how they will perceive the video games and if they themselves can distinguish the difference between a game and reality.
ReplyDeleteI could not agree more with every point you made. These video games are clearly all trying to cater to the male audience. But there is a reason - that is the demographic of who plays these violent games. They have more male players, and therefore gaming companies are trying to get their audience to buy their product. Of course this isn't fair, but anything to make a quick buck eh? I do agree with you though, that it is destroying the view of women in these young gamers lives. How could we let this happen? Chivalry is in fact... dead
ReplyDeleteAll your points are very accurate. I definitely think that for the longest time, video game companies have been discriminatory towards the female demographic, stereotypically portraying them as pink dress-wearing, delicate flowers. But I think that over the last decade or two, the industry has begun to change its stance towards women. Metroid is a prime example since the main character, Samus, is a female who kills aliens. Games like COD and Halo that involve war, gore, and high-risk situations now include female characters in their campaign modes. Though they're not playable characters, I think the fact that video game companies are beginning to include women in scenarios that are non-stereotypical for their gender shows that change is underway. Good job, and also, I would stomp you at COD, and that's not because you're a girl. haha Bring it!
ReplyDeleteGaming has also been a very positive and rewarding experience for me, and though I'm aware of all the issues that come with it, I've managed to avoid being affected on a personal level. They've vastly expanded my social circle and my exposure to a great form of entertainment.
ReplyDelete